Friday, July 11, 2008

Washington state

Our trip to Washington was fabulous! Pam and Sandi's commitment ceremony was so beautiful up in North Bend with the mountains in the background. The cool weather was not to be found, though, but who cares if it's 92 degrees as long as it's sunny! (evidently it had been months of rain there). I cried happy tears for them and we ate and drank and danced and had lots of fun meeting friends and co-workers. Kudos, girls! Of course, I had to come back to the real world of work and school. Why can't life be one big vacation? Oh, yeah, Eden. Darn you, Adam and Eve!

I have been a reading maniac lately, and NOTHING has gotten done at home. I just can't put them down (and don't want to). Sometimes it's funner living in someone else's fantasy life than in my own real one, but I think that's excusable when one's husband is deployed, don't you think? Ok, I do need to check into reality every once in a while, which I did this morning by working in the yard. My body just does not like hot humid weather and though my intentions were pure, I could not keep going, so even though I only worked out there about an hour and a half I'm now indoors writing you (which is still reality), but there's a book sitting right at my elbow sending out really strong impulses to pick it up. I do need to find some time in the next few days to get a paper and presentation ready for Monday, too. Not nearly as fun, but it will pay dividends in the near future, whereas Harry Dresden probably won't (no probably, Kim, I think I'm becoming delusional).

Anyway, I'm devouring these Harry Dresden books that Mark got me started on. I think I'm on the 9th in the series (Proven Guilty) and already checked out the next one to have ready and waiting. I also have a Laurell K Hamilton book ready, since she was an author mentioned if one likes Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books. I finally got "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyers and absolutely loved it, so I'm on the waiting list at the library for "New Moon". My niece and a friend at school got me interested in what those were about and they are definitely worth the read (thanks, Lisa and Jess!) And I have a Lama Surya Das book that I purchased while in Washington at an awesome used bookstore "Awakening the Buddha Within." And I can't forget the Elizabeth George book that's been waiting patiently for me to read that I picked up at some point. I love books!

Hope all is well!

2 comments:

kelly barton art + design said...

i miss you kim!
so glad to hear you had a great trip. i got a nice email from mark, basically told him i expected to hear from him. now if you would please follow suit - i will be set. we want to send him a package and i need to know where and how to send.

okay - gotta go paint, ugh... ihave been suffering from creative block and that is no fun.

austrohoosier said...

Glad you had a wonderful trip, and were there for the commitment ceremony.

JJ & her partner, Jill, are wedding August 9th at The New Zealander, with our close friend Robert presiding. Looking forward to the joyous occasion!

Be well.

Lots of love to you, Mark & the Cats,

Jeff